Saturday, September 23, 2006

Poker vs. Cucumber

Sometimes I really wish I could be more composed.
Sometimes I wish I wouldn't get fired up the way I do when it gets to something I really care about.

Sometimes I wish I wouldn't get over-excited the way I do when it gets to something I really like.
Sometimes I wish I were cool as a cucumber.
Sometimes I wish I were a poker champion, with the poker face, poker voice and all.

My roomie tried to convince me that I'd be just fine without a poker face.
I must say, I think a poker face and voice would come in really handy though.
Some kind of protective shield..... for me and for the people around me (e.g. my current team mates).

Well, anyway I've decided to forget about poker face and poker voice.
I have a new item for my (extremely long) new year's resolution list :
TO BE COOL AS A CUCUMBER

Somehow, it never crossed my mind before to list it in my previous new year's resolutions.


I'm listening to this Madeline Peyroux CD that I just got on my way home from my group meeting. For some reason, the songs somehow just send me back to my second apartment in Chicago.

It was a teeny weeny studio on the third floor of the south wing of a vintage building. There were 2 large windows with a crappy view of the parking lot and the alley behind the church next to the building. I saw my first snow flakes through those windows. I kept track of this particular tree's changing colours my first fall there. My very first experience of cooking for my friends was there. So was my very first experience of almost killing myself (and probably others, too) and causing a fire in the whole building (on a separate occasion). I had my first (and hopefully the last) visit from the cops following a complaint from some grumpy old lady neighbour, when my friends and I had too much of a good time when I had some of them over for dinner.

Oh, now I remember why the CD did this to me.
I think my ex-boss's hubby was playing her songs when my ex-boss had a farewell party for me at her home.
It just brings back memories of good times in the past.

4 comments:

BETO said...

as cool as a cucumber? thats aint cool son!
4 letters 4 cool: b e t o

Unknown said...

you already sound cool as a cucumber........

see you round like a rissole, so long like a sausage....

e x

Scal said...

Why don't as cool as a poker champion. At least you can win some cash, rather than being a cucumber?

chocoholic said...

I guess you're right, Scal....
Now why didn't I think of that before?