Friday, July 21, 2006

One special exam question

I just had to write this down before I forget. My memory span is getting shorter and shorter everyday.

In order to learn the English language, I remember we had to rely on private courses as English was not part of the curriculum back home when I was in primary school.

My parents scrimped and saved so my brother and I could take those private English courses. To this day, I think my brother still hates me for causing him to have to take those lessons, as my parents insisted he had to accompany me. I remember for the first few years, I was always the youngest in the class. Most of my classmates used to be 2-5 years older than me.

I suppose maybe that's why the teacher had problem coming up with a question for me - the class baby - during our oral exam. Of the few questions that he asked, there was this one that I think will be the only exam question I'll remember clearly from my 20+ years as a student

As a 10-year old kid, I was asked: "Which do you think is better, to love or to be loved? "

In the current context, this might not have been such a weird question for a 10-yr old, but considering that this was quite a while ago.... I'm still quite amused now when I think of it.

Anyway, I remember answering promptly: "To be loved, of course."

"Why?", the teacher asked.

I remember smiling awkwardly, thinking "Heck! What kind of exam is this?", and then responding:
"Because if you love someone, that doesn't always mean that the person will love you back. But to be loved by someone,... then you don't have to worry about anything...."

I think up until recently I still believed in the essence of what I said that day, but ever since I came to study here in this island I've seen a very good example, literally in front of me, on why I couldn't have been more wrong.

I guess to be loved isn't necessarily better than to love, even if the other party loves you to death (and back... creepy! hahaha). And I'm sure one won't be in such a better position the other way around either: to love someone to death without reciprocating response from the other end. Obviously, the latter I was smart enough to figure out by the time I was 10.

2 comments:

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Yeah,
What's the use of someone loving you till death if you don't love that person back? That's right.
It's no use. The love won't meant anything for you anyway. :)

chocoholic said...

Yah I know.... should've known better then.

I guess I grew up with a thing for profit businesses:
Profit = Input - Output

Silly me thought:
NO output = 100% profit.

"cuan" donk?

hahaha....