Wednesday, July 19, 2006

One messed up tongue

Some of my friends don't understand why it is such a big deal for me, but I'm seriously annoyed by my English.

You see, growing up, I've had quite a few English teachers with various background, and of course various accents and all. Aside from the numerous Indonesian teachers at school, with various accents (including a really stern, yet sweet and funny Ms. Adoe with a touch of British accent in her speech), I've also had at least two Indian teachers (also with a slight British influence in their English), and last but not least several American teachers.

So you see, it's no wonder my English became a hotchpotch of things.

You see, I say trunk and not boot. I like colours better than colors. Same thing with neighbours. I used to check the cheque amount whenever I received any. The food is slightly burnt, but not completely spoiled. I'm not crazy about math, so I don't see the need to have it in multiple dose as the British do maths. I do the American urbanization and realization, but I prefer the British centres and theatres.I use queue and line interchangeably,and I also do both truck and lorry, depending on the type of vehicles, usually with the latter describing those gigando ones. Well at least nowadays I think I tend to stick to a single way in my pronunciation of tomato, garage and dance.

In short, as you can see, I'm just a total mess.
Now, won't you be upset if you were in my shoes?

No comments: