Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Field trip to airport

I drove my mom and niece to the airport today. We spent a bit more time there as we got there a bit early. Initially, it was just another day at the airport.

What caught my attention later was this bunch of primary school students that are split up into several groups of roughly 20 kids each. They were running around, trying to out-talk each other at the top of their lungs, jumping up and down on the temporary platform leading to the skytrain and making tons of noise.
At first, it was kinda cute.. . But after being squeezed in the skytrain with at least 40 of these dennis-the-menaces, I started feeling sorry for the leaders of the groups(or teachers, I dunno.....), who didn't look like they're anything older than 21. I bet they felt like strangling those kids.

I think one could kinda tell the difference though, between those who seem to hold it just fine, still holding some kids' hands, checking on some them and making sure they're comfortable inside the super air-conditioned halls, while walking together with them, as opposed to other who simply look as if they're trying to lose a detective that's been tailing them.

Anyway, after while (trust me,.... they were everywhere), I started feeling sorry for the kids. I mean, as much as airports can be an interesting place, I think the field trips I went on in my school days were much more interesting. Of course there was the typical zoo trip, but the field trip I went on to the huge botanic garden and the zoological museum also involved an hour drive out of town. It also involved a visit to one of the country's 3 presidential palaces with deers around in the palace yard. There was another trip to a volcano that involved a 4-hr drive to another city. I actually went on 2 field trips to the volcano and both times I traced the path down the crater with my friends, where some of my friends boiled duck eggs in what looked like puddles of boiling water. It stank as hell from all the sulfur released by the volcano, but we had such a great time (The crater has since been closed due to increased volcano activity, I believe. Either that or they just didn't know better then to have let us hiked up and down the crater). There was also a stop at one of the hot springs in the area. A shorter drive from the city than the volcano would be the tea plantations, which used to be so much colder back then before all the pollution. There's also a safari park which is kinda like a drive-in zoo, where you can make fun of all the sleepy lions and giraffes, touch a llama's nose that's wedged in a small gap on your car window looking for more carrots, gawk at the size (and smell) of an elephant's poo, and have pictures taken of you holding a baby white tiger.

I'm thinking of all the tuitions, music lessons, swimming lessons, drama classes, etc that these noisy kids have to go through.

Now I feel bad for those kids. I think I got a way, way better deal than them.

No comments: