Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Another encounter with men in uniforms

Time: 3.30 am
Location: A blip on the blue island

I could've sworn I heard the door bell, but then again I might be dreaming.
There it goes again. You've got tons of imagination, I told myself.
Third time. Is it for real? Must be... You're not that creative, I told myself.
Fourth time. Is it Dad? No, he's not coming till this afternoon. Can't be....
Then who the heck is this nut case?

In seriously bed-tousled hair and half-opened eyes,upsetly walked to the door and took a peek.
Only saw 2 guys' faces.

Opened door: Yes?

Only then did I notice the uniforms. One of them mumbled a name, which I really couldn't hear, to which I replied that I thought they must've gotten the wrong address.
He took a look at his note and read out a license plate number.

SHIT, I thought.

"The car alarm has been going on and off for the past 4 hours, Mam. "

I apologized right away and scurried away for the keys. In the elevator, they told me that the car's ok and it was locked. Only the interior light was on.

Phewh.... what a relief....

Phai seh lah.... I really didn't realize it. Gosh, now I'm worried about the car battery. I guess it's a good thing I cancelled off my apppointment for tomorrow morning.

Then on my nerve-wrecking walk back home (coz I was afraid I might get rotten eggs or tomatoes dropped on me from some of the flats), after giving the men my cell phone number in case something goes wrong again, I was thinking: The poor people who couldn't sleep because of the alarm.... I really feel bad for them but I dunno whom to apologize to.
So phai seh lah...

Then in the elevator ride back up, it hit me: How come it took 4 hours before I get the notice?
Did people actually put up with such a crazy thing for that long? Or did the officers really need that much time to respond?
I'm sorry but I guess after my first encounter with their colleagues, I really didn't appreciate the squad that much.
I hope it was for the first reason.

Either way, from the bottom of my heart, I would like to apologize to people in this tiny island who couldn't sleep on the second evening of the new year due to my absent-mindedness.
I promise, I'l try really really really hard to not let such a thing happen again.
May your patience be awarded with loads and loads of good things to come in this new year.

Cheers!

Back to sleep....

P.s. I wish I could come up with my case studies as fast as I could come up with a post for this blog of mine.

No comments: