Thursday, March 08, 2007

sub·sti·tu·tion

Interestingly, two different yet almost similar things are going on in my life.
Well, at least in my mind..... and at least some parts of them are quite comparable to each other.


What would you do when you have a wish, a dream or a fantasy that you have been holding on to for a really long time, with very little sign of it becoming a reality anytime soon?
And all that you have to hold on to is hope, and a gut feeling that it is your destiny, well... maybe not to that extreme, but just this really weird sort of sixth sense that it is meant to be.

But then of course, it can very well be that you are just being delusional after years and years of convincing yourself that it is what it is.

Back to the dream.

So, after waiting and waiting for a while, or actually... make that a really long while, what would you do when someone offers you something else in place of this dream or fantasy?

"Take (Do) this and forget about that one." this person says to you.

The idealist, or at least the idealist-wannabe in me, would say "I really appreciate it. Thanks, but no, thanks."
The idealist me is saying that you don't achieve anything without perseverance and persistence. The idealist me is saying that one must stay true to his or her goal.

(By now you should have a pretty clear idea of how many cheesy movies and books I have come across in my life. I blame all the Chicken Soup series I gobbled up in high school.)

Where does one draw the line between persistence and ignorance?
Between bravery and foolishness?
Between perseverance and mere insanity?
Between patience and stupidity?

While mulling over these questions, I stumbled upon this:
Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.
- Sun Tzu -

So, now it's confirmed and I'm congratulating myself as I type, for it might be my highest achievement in life: A candidate for the biggest fool in the world.

No comments: