Sunday, May 25, 2008

Transit point

So.... the offer is finally out there.
Mom and Dad were in town (Mom still is), to attend my cousin's wedding.

With some persuasion from Mom, Dad finally asked me if I'd like to just take it easy and go back home, rather than slaving myself away over here. They both tried to convince me that Dad can easily offer me twice my monthly salary just to go home (only goes to show how little I make now). Basically all I have to do is.... nothing but argue with him every now and then ( more like every day) on his crazy ideas and occassionally irrational business decisions.

My first instinct was: "Finally..... I thought you'd never ask" :P
The next mili-second, I thought to myself that it really was not what I wanted.
And then the next mili-second, I remembered my bro's grey hair. OK, so maybe he was born with one strand but it's gotten really bad the past few years. And then I remember Mom who just told me she hasn't shopped for clothes for the longest time (Hint: Noone to take her shopping back home. While I think she was exaggerating a bit, I think she was just trying to convince me to go back. (P.s. I bought her a top when I decided to venture out to Orchard for a few hours. The 3-hr of wandering around left me dead beat as I am still actually feeling quite weak from this crazy flu).

One final question that popped up in my head though had to do with something I told myself when I left US a few years back.

I had told myself that I needed to be closer to my family. At the end of the day, they are the most important people in my life, more important than myself.
And Singapore was meant to be a transition. Closer but not too close. An extended transit point to allow myself some time to readjust to the culture, and to my family. Like it or not, 4 years total submersion in a totally different culture can change a person quite a lot.

So now the question is, when does this transit end? When is my next flight out?
Or, is there still a flight out to begin with?

2 comments:

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

It's a pickle, isn't it?
I see you working till late at night right now, but, hey, I totally dig you if you don't want to go back home (my parents drive me nuts too sometimes).

It's a pickle.

I hope you find the answer on this one.

chocoholic said...

Yup, it's a pickle alright...

And unfortunately, unlike you, I totally do not dig pickles at all.
Well, except for the pickles for the fried rice we get from the hawkers back home.

I tell you, they're seriously running a campaign now. My parents, that is. Not the hawkers.