Saturday, May 17, 2008

Agendas

Everyone has his or her own agenda, and I believe at the end of the day they all do things with the best intentions at heart.

Dad and Mom don't seem to care much what I do and where I do it, as long as I can make good money. They are a bit concerned that I seem to be putting in a lot of effort for very little return. And they would rather I focus on finding someone decent and settling down (Note: Dad seems to have convinced himself since gazillion years ago that as long as I can overcome my weight issue, my prince charming will pop out from thin air.lolz....). Being the wonderful parents that they area, they really actually have been thinking about buying a property here to facilitate my "settling down" process.

Despite her occasional breakthrough moments from her old school thoughts, such as the time when she tried to give me tips on how to pick up guys at the airport check-in counter, Grannie believes I should continue to slog it out at work, as that it's what people do when they start to build their career. She thinks my hometown is a horrid place with no much future and since I have managed to get my permanent residency in this tiny island, she believes it's a good start and Dad should support me by getting me a place for myself. If he can afford to get a bigger place, she can then move in also and "take care" of me (Note: Dad believes that I am Grannie's fave granddaughter, to which I must say I sometimes wonder if there is some truth to this). With this in mind, Grannie has been bugging Dad about buying a unit under my name, not having the slightest clue that the market went through the roof a while back and a crash really is quite unlikely despite the slowdown.

I think Bro finds that I am wasting my time here, slaving myself away for a measly amount as my paycheck. I must say I agree on the latter part, but I'm still undecided about the first. Anyway, he feels that I am in a way just going through my denial phase and that I should just pack up and go home. He doesn't see any future for me in Singapore as he finds the market too small, the latter being something that we have actually somehow discussed and agreed on at a very early stage, when we were still in school. With this in mind, apparently he has been totally opposing the idea of any purchase of property in this island, as he sees this as facilitating my prolonged period of denial. He managed to sway Mom a bit, and she called this morning. After much small talks, she eased in the topic, " Your Bro thinksyou will never come back if we get you a place for your own. That's not true, right?".

I believe I haven't seen enough of the world. I haven't learned enough about this industry I really quite love. Anything involving buildings and developments actually. But then again, I suppose a timeframe and a deadline should be drawn as learning is a never-ending process.
And also, come to think of it, back home is also a part of the "world". And I have also believed in the potential of the place. It's just such a huge market.

And to be honest, I don't think I have made peace with myself. There is still that other reason that's holding me back from going home. Once I can really close that chapter of my life, then maybe it will be an easier call to make.

O well.... think I want to go back to enjoying my long weekend now.

Yay! fish spa therapy and lunch and movie. all in one tomorrow afternoon.

so looking forward to it.....

No comments: