Thursday, December 08, 2005

No Harry Potty & the Toilet Bowl, please...

I've just remembered something else that really pissed me off a few weeks ago.

You see, I was all excited, and I mean EXCITED, to finally see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, since it came out locally during my exam week. So much so that I was willing to squeeze in the seventh row from the front, and all the way to the side, in order to protect my left ear from what my right ear has to suffer from. They always manage to outdo their previous movies, so I expected this one to be even better than the previous HP movie (which I lurrved by the way).

Unfortunately, all the excitement just plunged down the cliff, not even rolling down the hill, as I started getting disappointed within 15 minutes into the film. The freakin' movie that I saw was really equal to some low-budget HK movies with crappy editing. Didn't realize it at first, but a few minutes later, I realized it wasn't really Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Not all of it, at least....

Although most of the film's intact, for all I know, I might as well have gone to see Harry Potty and the Toilet Bowl (suggested title for this version of the movie that I saw, to reflect the impact of the additional editing). Whoever was in charge of the local cinema and movie business, basically cut up the movie into a practically uneventful chain of events.Without seeing the full version, I can only positively confirm one missing link. However, I'm sure there are more.

I feel so bad for the directors, actors, cinematographer, special-effects guys (what are they called, by the way?), cameramen, ... I mean everyone who busted their ass off for this movie.
If it really upsets me when somebody messes around with any of my oh-so-meaningless projects, without discussing it with me, I can't imagine how bad they must feel if they saw this version of the movie.
Just wondering if there is any law at all in this world that protects the integrity of an art production? I mean, c'mon... hundreds and hundreds of people must have put their minds and thoughts into this movie. I think, movies, regardless of their scale of productions, rightfully deserve to be treated as an art form.
But if so, then how would you feel if somebody just decided that Monalisa needed to look more proper, with a full-blown turtle neck top and her hair done nicely in a tight bun like Prof. McGonnagal? Or if somebody just decided to paint a proper set of pants and shirt on David to make him more presentable?

Just imagining the time and effort put into a single shot in a movie, I think if I were in any way involved in the production, I would rather have the movie be rated as "for adults only" instead of it being crappily-edited like that.

I was listening to a discussion regarding defamation a few months ago. I wonder, had I been Rowling, would I have filed a law suit for defamation through crappy editing?

But then again, I'm not Rowling. And my anger has subsided significantly. I think I'm back to the old optimistic me, looking forward to another movie: Chicken Little. Speaking of the poultry reminds me of something: Though this is kinda passe, I wonder if Donald Duck should wear pants now if he wants to protect his existence.

No comments: